[development] RFC: letting modules phone home to check for new releases

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 13:48:32 UTC 2006

On 22 Nov 2006, at 11:41, Bèr Kessels wrote:
> So, I again, plead for a framework. An API. A well thought out
> foundation. An
> architecture.
> Not a GUI installer that needs FTP and SSH access and that requires
> you to
> open up (rather) insecure permissions on certain files. Not an
> in-site-upgrade system that forces you to run with the most insecure
> permissions on teh intarweb.
> No.
> A framework.

I agree that we should play nice with third-party installers.  That
said, I think you might want to do a cost-benefit analysis: either
work on your own Sympal scripts, or team up with Derek, Earl,
webchick et al to govern and improve certain design aspects of the
core installer.  We both know what strategy is going to win in the
long term.