[development] RFC: letting modules phone home to check for new releases

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Wed Nov 22 15:27:37 UTC 2006

Op woensdag 22 november 2006 14:48, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> We both know what strategy is going to win in the
> long term.

Yup. Be it that capistrano works NOW. And so do these scripts. they allow me
to install stuff already.
So on the "short term" I also know what strategy brings me most benefit.

But that said: the main reason that I continued on the framework and API
(commandline) road is not because I felt like "doing my own thing". The
reason is twofold:

 When The installer was discussed, I explained my plans in rahter great
detail. At that moment I could hardly show code. I could only show where I
wanted to head and explain (which I did) why I thought that framework route
was the one to take. People, including Dries, clearly indicated that this was
not the desired route at that time: Drupal needed a web-based installer ASAP,
not a framework in some future. Fine, but I decided to continue on what I
felt the correct route, because I have no need (scratch itch) for a webbased
installer.

 When the first installer was released we discussed a profile-management
system (distros). By that time, I already had a working draft of my own
installer with profiles. I presented that on this list, but it was ignored,
with one exception: A technical sidenote by Moshe. And frankly I don't feel
like spending loads of efforts in defending an idea, where people have little
interest in. I prefer to spend that time on making stuff work better. Not on
telling people that it might work better then something else. So I decided to
let it go and see what would come out, and whether or not I would like the
core distro-system better (I don't) and then convert my own into that.

So here are my plans:
* Move all my scripts to capistrano. It makes no sense to reinvent the wheel
(sympal PHP scripts are a Drupal-specific PHP version of a much more mature
Ruby system called capistrano)
* During that time, keep on using the scripts, so possibly I will integrate
the new profile/distro stuff in PHP, before moving over to capistrano.

Questions:
Would capistrano serve as a default Drupal install/update framework? Are we
afraid of Ruby (as in: not rails, but the language)? Do we want to depend on
a third party tool for our deployment framework?

Personal my answers are: yes, no, yes. But I'd like to hear if this can even
be considered for core :)

Bèr