[development] How to update DRUPAL-4-7 from CVS?

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Thu Nov 23 00:45:54 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a drupal install that I checked out of CVS some time ago, in the 4.7.3
timeframe, I believe.  I'd like to update it to get something post 4.7.4.
This is how I thought it should be done:

cvs update -r DRUPAL-4-7

Or some variant close to that.  But this causes a problem.  The problem is
that leaves me with duplicates of drupal core modules.  For example in my
modules directory, I get aggregator.module and aggregator/aggregator.module,
block.module and block/block.module, and so on for all drupal modules which
were once files but are now in their own directory.

I was under the impression these modules which sit in their own directory are
DRUPAL-5 modules.  But if I understand CVS correctly (which is hard to do),
those modules are also tagged DRUPAL-4-7.  Is this an accident or am I doing
something wrong on my end?  Is there any way to update a DRUPAL-4-7 checkout
without getting modules written for DRUPAL-5?

Note that I am not using this command:

cvs update -dPf -r DRUPAL-4-7

which I know would check out files added to DRUPAL-HEAD after DRUPAL-4-7.  I
thought the earlier command would be a safe way to upgrade a DRUPAL-4-7, but
I think some files have been accidentally tagged as DRUPAL-4-7 when they
should not be.

Thanks,

-Dave