[development] no cookies = "access denied" ?!

sime info at urbits.com
Thu Nov 23 03:49:00 UTC 2006

Dear dev-list

I have an issue that I feel is important but hard to categorize. I have
a Drupal 4.7 site with a generally non-web-savvy audience. In fact, I
believe some of my visitors don't use the internet for anything else.

After trawling through drupal.org, the general concensus seems to be :
"people who disable cookies get what they deserve". However, since I
have users who don't know any better, their first impression of Drupal
is "Access Denied". They don't get any indication of what they are doing
wrong, so I see in the log sometimes they reset their password 3 times
in a row, and then email my client with a complaint.

I think this issue is quite important, because it effects a
soon-to-be-tapped audience. I've emailed this list to get an idea of how
to proceed:

1. File this as a core documentation issue, there should be a warning on
the login page.

2. File this as a bug, well put my eggs into this basket:
http://drupal.org/node/58019

3. Develop a module or something that uses php or javascript to warn the
user (or redirect or something logical)

Thanks
Simon