[development] standard dotinfo file "package" classification

Konstantin Käfer kkaefer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 13:35:10 UTC 2006

Am 25.11.2006 um 13:47 schrieb Morbus Iff:

>> I have been looking, and probably missed something crucial, but I
>> fail to find a list of standardised package = classifications.

Bèr probably meant that there are no guidelines on how to use the
package field. Module authors can invent arbitrary new names and use
them. That way, you'll end up with 10 categories with 1-2 modules each.

> Naming-wise, the package should almost /always/ be the name of your
> distribution - CCK and Ecommerce are made up of a ton of different
> modules but are all colloquially referred to as "CCK" or
> "Ecommerce", and that's what their CVS name and module URL are.
> Thus, that is their package names as well.

That's true. But we need to document it somewhere. It won't work with
a tacit agreement.

Konstantin Käfer – http://kkaefer.com/