[development] standard dotinfo file "package" classification

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Sat Nov 25 16:05:56 UTC 2006

> Is there a list somewhere that I can make more visible? Or do i
> need to start
> one, and in that case, are there some (de-facto) standards that I
> missed?

I think making one would be a good idea.

I've done a grep of contrib-head:  http://drupal.pastecode.com/8783

Here are the de-facto standards:

- Modules that extend a particular "parent" module, such as CCK,
Views, Organic Groups, etc. use the "parent" module's name as the
package. I think you'd use this when your module would basically be
completely useless on its own without said parent module.

- Modules that are not useless on their own tend to be classified by
their function, such as Voting, Development, etc. There doesn't
appear to be any standardization here, but it probably makes sense
for the Drupal.org category name and package name to match.

-Angie