[development] opinions needed

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sun Nov 26 16:30:52 UTC 2006

Op zondag 26 november 2006 16:17, schreef Karoly Negyesi:
> There is no coding or reviewing required. I am just asking for opinions on
> http://drupal.org/node/99656

I'd like to say something about the way this issue is handled.

I am fiddling with a 5.0. Fiddling beyond installing and adding some "lorem
ipsums". I converted some old sites to 5, and tested my new admin theme on
the new platform. I found a "thing" that behaved really weird. I managed to
get empty (!=blank) pages without doing anything really weird. My brain then
adds 1 and 2 and calls this "a critical bug".

Whether or not it was meant to be that way is not really an issue there. The
fact that very busy developers tell me to "shut te F up" in words like "I am
sick of this. I will begin committing my code to the 6.x branch. Out."
astonishes me. And it worries me, not because of myself, I have a thick skin
and I can defend mysels :). but by the fact that by reporting an issue as
critical, I undeliberately managed to annoy the S out of some developer(s). I
don't want to annoy the S out of developers, I'd like to
help-them-help-Drupal(-help-me).

For me the (probably invalid) feeling was: I found a way to break Drupal, lets
fix it, lets spend some time on making this at the least weird behaviour.

Thsi is a meta post. But I get the feeling we certainly need to patch the
behaviour of ourselves at times, else we continue with this --at times--
rather grim atmosphere. I was rather shocked by the anwsers in that issue.

I am sincerely sorry if I stepped on toes of developers by calling this a
critical issue. I am sorry if I got it all wrong by breaking something and
reporting that, only to find that it was not broken at all (classical case
of "its not a bug its a feature). But I would like to know how we can avoid
all this frustration and these harsh words in the future.

So hereby my aplogies, eventhough I don't really know what went wrong :)

Bèr

--

Drupal, Ruby on Rails and Joomla! development: webschuur.com | Drupal hosting:
sympal.nl