[development] RFC: letting modules phone home to check for new releases

Richard Morse remorse at partners.org
Wed Nov 29 19:05:49 UTC 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 9:01 PM, Derek Wright wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2006, at 5:42 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>
>> Do you plan to check if a module has been altered after download,
>> too?
>
> no, i wasn't planning to do that.  the md5 hashes we have are on
> the whole tarball, not per file.  so an easy, obvious way to detect
> this doesn't immediately spring to mind, short of doing a bunch
> more work to calculate, store, and advertise the per-file md5
> hashes at d.o. [1]

One thing about this is that it would be good to allow admins to say
"yes, this file has been modified, but I know about it so don't tell
me again".  Occasionally I make small changes to a module (example: I
modified biblio.module to hide ability to export XML, because I don't
want it visible), and I don't want to be plagued by massive warnings
(or worse, automatic disabling) because I customized a module.

Thanks,
Ricky