[development] Why Drupal 5.x must have built-in WYSIWYG Editor?

Gildas Cotomale gildas.cotomale at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 13:45:52 UTC 2006

On 2006.10.06, Robrecht Jacques wrote:
> Just to step in. I'm not sure we need a #wysiwyg property. I think we
> need a #html property. This would say: it makes sense to put HTML
> codes inside this textarea. If not set, one would be "required" to
> input plain text. This makes the property *semantically* correct and
> could even be used inside core.

Then, i suggested :
> But i think #wysiwyg is very semantic too if the purpose is to
> indicate that a RTE must be used because the content may some BBcode
> (and not HTML) for example. :/
> Well, why do not simply say the kind of content expected here simply
> like a text-based MIME type (and the RTE is invoked then only if can
> manipulate/generate that MIME type, and Drupal stay that powerfull
> format independant...) If you agree, what name should have that
> property in such a case ? Why not something like #mime-type (or simply
> #mime) or #content-type or better #accept-content  (or simply #accept
> like at <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#accept>
> => <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#extensions1>

The #accept attribute is a proposal to extend #type="textarea" in
WobForms2, and it already exists for #type="file" in HTML4...
But thinking about it later, it came to me that we are looking for
something that must indicate the IME (Input Method Editor) and not the
Content-Type accepted (thus, they are related here). And guess what?
Xforms specifications suggest #inputmethod for that...
<http://xformsinstitute.com/essentials/browse/book.php#ch06-14-fm2xml>
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/sliceE.html> :/

--
little thoughts