[development] install should optionally create the database

Drupal Indonesia support at drupal-id.com
Fri Oct 13 00:27:49 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boris Mann" <boris at bryght.com>
To: <development at drupal.org>
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 5:39 AM
Subject: Re: [development] install should optionally create the database

> On 10/12/06, John Cox <john.cox at wyome.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 10/12/06, Laura Scott <laura at pingv.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > I've installed various website systems (BBS, blogs, CMSs) over the
>> > years, and while a lot of them have been easier than installing
>> > Drupal, none that I recall had an on-screen database creation
>> > feature.
>>

>> Xaraya does;)
>
> There are actually lots, so let's not go down this route. I suspect
> that having security as a priority goal would narrow the list down
> considerably. e.g. SugarCRM has the *option* to put in a user/pass
> with create rights.
>
> As others have said, this is not something that is going to get in for
> 5.0, so it's a long way away AND nothing that debate alone is going to
> help get in.
>
> Let's remember as well that many of these threads are started by
> relative newcomers who often times don't look at the past or are
> unaware of it (Kieran's posting / info about CS is one example).
>
> Getting dragged into these long mudpits of discussion threads isn't useful.
>
> Let's try and give useful pointers to why or why not that decision was
> made, mention that it a) should be in the issue tracker and b) isn't
> going to get into core until the 6.0 branch.
>
> --  Boris Mann

Agree. The core dev must understand that many repeating thread come from their
self! why not give us a clear view of:
1. roadmap, and
2. what drupal will support, and
3. what drupal won't support

i.e: I come from PHPNuke, Mambo and Joomla. Most of my clients agree that Drupal
is better and powefull but more difficult to install and administer. so, as new
dev we only can give suggestion while we try to learn Drupal as deep as possible
(and take longer time because there is no comprehensive handbook for creating
complex module, the example in the handbook is too simple, I need a handbook
like VB .Net Manual Book).

now, when core dev tell us (as a new developer) what is Drupal: roadmap, what
will support and what won't support??? if Drupal official site say: Drupal will
not support creating database during installation, please read this discussion.
Then, no one will ask this again over and over. This will save our time (as new
dev), save core dev time and save much email space.