[development] Usability task: vocabulary creation form

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Sat Oct 14 11:34:13 UTC 2006

Hello,

the Drupal APC usability report (http://drupal.org/node/83806) states
that the vocabulary creation form could use some work (page 16-17):

   "Some forms (eg vocabulary creation) could use additional text to
explain the purpose of some of the fields that they contain.".

Elsewhere they state:

   "The purpose of some fields (eg hierarchy) found within the
vocabulary creation form are somewhat ambiguous, and the descriptive
text provided does not provide clarity. A group of checkboxes and
their purpose is also somewhat ambiguous.  Some work could be done to
combine the text found on the main categories administration page
with the text found on this form.".

Facts:
  - Creating a vocabulary is a really popular task.
  - The form to create a vocabulary is not self-explanatory and
scares people away.

Anyone cares to look into this?  It seems that with a little bit of
work, we could make a difference for thousands of people.  I'd love
to see this fixed in Drupal 5.0.  Thanks,