[development] My site is under attack (trackbacks, spam and cpu usage).

Augustin (Beginner) drupal.beginner at wechange.org
Mon Sep 18 03:14:49 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am curious: is anyone using the trackback.module and allowing incoming
trackbacks?

Spammers have a vicious script designed for Drupal, that submits spam
trackbacks in a loop, every few minutes, 24/24h.

Even though not ONE of their trackbacks has EVER been published on the site,
once your site is entered into their registry, they'll never bother take it
off. It seems the only human intervention is to ADD new sites to spam in the
robot's registry, never to remove any.
Even though I have disabled the trackback.module weeks ago (!!!), my logs are
still flooded with "warning  page not found  trackback/$nid not found. "

In such a situation, I wonder how anyone could be using the trackback.module
for any length of time.

My particular concern at this time is server resources. I know there is a spam
module that can automatically delete spam trackbacks, but it won't solve the
resources problems.

My site hasn't had any new content for a week, and the Drupal cache should be
working at its best, and the CPU load should be at its lowest.
However, the opposite is true.

          |  For the week  | For the day    |
          |  rank  -  %    |  rank  -  %    |
--------------------------------------------|
cpu       | 86th  - 0.216% | 190th - 0.107% |
hit       | 504th - 0.032% | 543th - 0.030% |
Bandwidth | 404th - 0.045% | 370th - 0.030% |

See the high cpu usage compared to hits and bandwidth. The relatively lower
cpu rank for the day is only due to a server upgrade which rendered spamming
impossible.
Now, I have already noted a few weeks ago that the cpu usage of a Drupal site
is higher than the cpu usage of other sites. Another Drupal site I have and
which has never used the trackback module (and therefore never been entered
in the spammers' registry) is showing the same pattern of a higher cpu usage.
However, it is not as bad as this site.

For the sake of the other web sites co-hosted on the same server, I'd like to
drastically cut down on cpu usage.
I'd like to add a directive at the top of .htaccess that ends straightaway any
request to trackback/$nid (so that Drupal never gets bootstrapped).

Would that work?
What would I need to add to .htaccess?

If you have some insights on the wider spam issue and trackback spam in
particular, please do share.

I repeat that the spam.module is not an option: it would increase even further
the cpu usage when I want to minimize it.

thanks,

Augustin.

--
http://www.wechange.org/
Because we and the world need to change.

http://www.reuniting.info/
Intimate Relationships, peace and harmony in the couple.