[development] Drupal 5.0 Theme - v2

Trae McCombs traemccombs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 01:22:13 UTC 2006

First things first, Farsheed has done OUTSTANDING work on trying to
incorporate a whole bunch of peoples ideas of what should or shouldn't be in
the theme.  Below isn't meant to be "open for discussion" per se.  It is My
Take[tm] on the direction I think the theme should go.  If Dries likes it,
cool, I hope everyone does too, but I know there will be those who
absolutely hate my proposal.

My "code" is based off of the 14.zip version that Farsheed put up.  I still
feel he's the best person to pull these changes together once everything is
all settled, I hope I've not made too much of a mess for him. ;)  I don't
know how to use diff and all that stuff as he does.  I just make things
pretty[tm].

"My" Theme:
http://themes.net/

WHILE you look at the theme above, keep in mind I've only worked on the
Fixed version.  That isn't to say that I won't work on the fluid version
too.  Also note that It is NOT a finished version.  Below are the tweaks I
want to implement of which I feel will push this theme over the edge and
make it worth of Drupal 5.0 default theme:

* Rounded Corners
Yes, we love them don't we?  I would like to have rounded corners on the
following areas [current colors kept in tact].
  1. Search area
  2. Mission
  3. Footer

If you have Inkscape [ http://inkscape.org ] create a rectangle and click
the rectangle select and set Rx and Ry to either 8 or 13.  Those are the
corner radii I'm thinking of using.

I know how to implement a "pure html" way to do rounded corners with no
images { as can be seen on my bands site -- yes, it's crappy looking --
http://theinterference.com/ } But wanted to discuss this implementation with
maybe Ted, Farsheed, others as to what would be the best way technically to
implement the rounded corners.  My way I think is smooth and clean, and
works on all browsers, but does put a lot of extra mark-up.  Do we want that
much extra mark-up going into a core theme?

* Search bar and Footer bar
Texture... these areas will have a nice clean texture in the background (of
course, depending on the method we use for rounded corners)  But the texture
will really make those areas pop.  I'll work on this tomorrow.  I might
simply repeat the "Glassy" feel from the Primary links to those areas.

* Secondary Links
I'd say we should have a place for Secondary links built into the top search
bar, much like the Primary links.  These are probably just small font links
left aligned.

* Logo on Right
Not sure which logo to use... There are several Drupal Icon's laying around
and wanted to know which is the "official one".  This could tie into the
"change the logo" discussion we had earlier.  Would be nice to at least get
the ability to change the logo easily with AJAX goodness into Drupal 5.0

That's about it...

If everyone hates this and loves Farsheeds better, my feelings won't be
hurt.  I figured I'd spend some time, and put up instead of shutting up. :)

The way that Farsheeds theme worked, still works, 2col(l/r) and 3col as is
displayed.  Again, I haven't touched fluid, so I'd have to go back in and
fix those things.

I can dedicate the rest of this week to this project should everyone (read:
Dries) approve of my work thus far, and possibly a wee bit more time after
that.

Peace love and Bananas,
Trae "The Artist Formerly Known as Occy"

PS. I hope I didn't forget anything that should have gone in this PS area.
:)

--
    Trae McCombs || http://occy.net/
  Founder - Themes.org // Linux.com