[development] Oracle porting & db_num_rows patches

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Apr 9 17:31:08 UTC 2007

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 23:26:55 +0200, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gabrieli,
>
> On 07 Apr 2007, at 10:40, Gabriele Turchi wrote:
>> Hi all. I'm doing a drupal 5.1 Oracle db experimental port. I have a
>> first core installation more or less working.
>>
>> Next target will be cck and views.
>>
>> One problem was the need to remove the db_num_rows calls
>> (unavailable in
>> Oracle). I've seen here and there an inappropriate use of this
>> function
>> ("select *" and db_num_rows in place of "select count(*)"), and I
>> think
>> my patches can be useful also for performance under other databases.
>
> Cool! :)
>
> Note that we can't commit your patch to the Drupal 5 branch -- only
> bugfixes are committed to that branch.  You'll want to provide
> patches for CVS HEAD so that the new functionality can become part of
> Drupal 6.
>
> You'll want to check with Larry Garfield -- he's working on PDO
> support for Drupal 6, and is also looking into removing db_num_rows
> ().  See this week's thread about "PDO and database limitations" for
> more information.

@Gabrieli: Greetings!  Hopefully what I'm working on will make Oracle support easier, too.

@Dries: Since it looks like db_num_rows() is going to be an issue for more than just PDO, would you be open to separate patches that just do "SQL cleanup" to eliminate db_num_rows(), clean up tablename-in-prepared-statement problems, etc, either as lots of little patches (my preference, easier to test/debug) or a big cleanup patch?  I believe that will be the largest remaining part of PDO anyway, but valuable to native-Oracle efforts etc. as well.

--Larry Garfield