[development] Idea: Site documenter module

J-P Stacey jp.stacey at torchbox.com
Mon Apr 16 08:50:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

> Having been asked to write a document containing some of these things on
> a site, I'm thinking of writing a module that basically nicely formats a
> db dump into an HTML page so you can get a bird's eye view of what the
> site entails.

This is a great idea. Apart from anything else, as I'm still a beginner I
could view such a page and treat it as a kind of checklist: "this is what an
advanced Drupaller would need to know at a glance to understand the site;
these areas are therefore what I need to tie down before my site can get
under way."

Would it also be useful (for e.g. complex themes) to be able to get some
sort of JavaDoc-like self-documentation out of the templates, as then what
you're proposing covers the likeliest locations of both custom data- and
codebase? phpDocumentor would cope well with the functions in template.php
but I don't know how much use it is for documenting combined HTML/PHP files.

Regardless of what gets decided I'm offering a hand. However, I'm still at
the level of expertise where I could be as much a hindrance as a help, so I
don't mind if I get put on grunt work/testing.

Cheers,
J-P