[development] #drupal / #drupal-dev split considered harmful

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 00:19:39 UTC 2007

Actually, rather than fight over this, I'll put 4 possible options to
prevent the starvation scenario:

Merge scenarios:

1. Either the developers live with it and say what the hell, we'll live with
these pesky support questions and just merge back to #drupal, cancelling
#drupal-support altogether.

2. Somehow put a new message in #drupal saying "support questions between
3-5 GMT", no telling if that would be any different than the current message
saying go to #drupal-support. Effectively cancelling #drupal-support

Split scenarios:

3. To somehow redirect #drupal goers to #drupal-dev at specific times in the
day (I'm not an IRC guru so I don't know if this could even be done), so
they would sort of feel that between 3-5 GMT they're catching the best
people capable of answering they're questions without even realizing they're
in #drupal-dev. Developers will know what's happening and will accept this
for a couple of hours a day. This seems very promising but I don't know if
it's implementable.

4. Assign 4+ support guys who can at least guarantee a couple of hours in
the #drupal channel a day, actually, why not go for 20+, the more the
better. That way it would become sort of an ethical responsibility to care
of the baby drupal-ers in #drupal :D