[development] IRC cloaks

Brandon Bergren bdragon at mailsnare.net
Wed Aug 1 04:30:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It never occured to me that IRC is this important for us. Time to get Drupal
> cloaks. Let's discuss for real what cloaks we want, who can get one and so on
> and I will deal with the rest.
>
> When someone joins a channel or whois run on her/him/it then you see:
>
> Druplico at rm-1006-10.serve.com
>
> versus
>
> chx at pdpc/supporter/professional/chx
>
> I wear a pdpc cloak at this moment while Druplicon is uncloaked. Only
> identified users get a cloak, they get it automatically upon idenitifcation.
> A cloak usually serves to show that you belong to the project.
>
> Example: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMemberHowto and
> http://www.mail-archive.com/community@apache.org/msg04083.html
>
> Regards,
>
> NK

[22:56] <chx> Bdragon: feel free to reply to my mail on devel with the
information of a) what's required to have a cloak at all b) when are
eligible for a Drupal cloak (first rule, common sense, then cvs acc, then
two vouchers)

Freenode allows registered groups to provide affiliated cloaks to
participants.

http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#projectcloak

Cloaks have three parts: A group name, a hierarchy, and a unique
identifier.

I propose the following format for Drupal cloaks:

drupal/user/53081

With a special case for Druplicon (as per freenode's guidelines for bot
cloaks):

drupal/bot/Druplicon

Having the cloaks in this format would make it easy to find a person's
profile on drupal.org, and the lack of a hierarchy would prevent debates
on "contribution levels" and such ;)

Anyone who wants a cloak must first have their nick registered and an
alternate nick linked to it. A checklist for setting this up is at:

http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup

Freenode lets groups submit cloak requests in batches. It would be a good
idea to get together a list for the initial batch of cloaks. Cloak
requests must have the "master" IRC nickname (the first nick registered by
a user) and the proposed cloak, so we'd need at least this much
information to compile a list:

Master nick	UID

For example, I am

Bdragon		53081

Finally, eligibility criteria:

   Users requesting a Drupal cloak must meet at least one of the following
criteria:

   A) "Common sense" (I.E. any well known member of the community for
which cloak eligibility would be blantantly obvious)
   * OR *
   B) Have a cvs account
   * OR *
   C) Has at least two eligible people vouch for them

chx is the Freenode group contact for Drupal, so he will pass on the cloak
requests to Freenode staff, but we need to have people set up linked nicks
and compile a list of cloaks to request beforehand to make this
worthwhile.

Thanks for your time,

--Brandon Bergren

--