[development] channels

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 07:35:13 UTC 2007

On 01 Aug 2007, at 09:11, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

>> Either way, I think (2) is a weak compromise.  I'm all for making
>> #drupal the de facto support channel, and moving all development
>> issues to #drupal-dev.
>
> So my primary concern over this was, how will people find the other
> channels without the supporters in #drupal telling them. One way
> would be that if you join #drupal the bot messages you with
> instructions just as in my original plan but if you answer
> something to the bot indicating you got the message about the
> 'house rules' whatever they will be, you will be voiced on #drupal
> -- thus we can use #drupal as a channel AND give people the
> guidance about various channels. How does this look?

A "Do you agree with the terms of service?" popup message for an IRC
channel?  Help.

Things like having to answer bot questions are simply to high of a
barrier for many users.  95% of the people don't even know what an
"IRC bot" is, or what it means to "being voiced" in an IRC channel.

Also, having to maintain bots and making sure that they are always
online seems like a source of frustration.  Bots are nice, as long we
don't have to rely on them.

Why don't we just swap the channels and see how that goes?  Scripted
solutions need maintenance, availability and resources.  I'd prefer
to see all of that go into drupal.org instead but maybe I got my
priorities wrong. ;-)

Anyway, it looks like we're trying to solve a simple problem with a
complex solution just so we can get a consensus that is still
suboptimal for the vast majority of our users.  Not sure I'm buying
into that.