[development] duplication and input format modules

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Thu Aug 9 05:54:04 UTC 2007

On 8/8/07, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally, I don't think duplicated modules are that big of a
> problem and it is certainly something we should _not_ punish people
> for.  I'm a firm believer of the fact that "deliberate duplication"
> is a good.  "Unfortunate duplication", i.e. duplication as the result
> of the fact that the author didn't know an almost identical module
> already existed, is something we have to reduce though.

Is the problem not looking, or looking and not finding? I doubt we can
make a lot of progress telling people to look if they are not
motivated to do it. Improving module findability would be a bigger
help. The module creators who are motivated would have an easier job.
And the much larger group of module users would be able to find
modules easier.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com