[development] ASP Integration with Drupal?

Ron Dorman rwd at simplydigtech.net
Wed Aug 15 19:26:00 UTC 2007

FGM wrote:
> If it's only two pages, why don't you just rewrite them in PHP ?

I would love to to. I have built php that connected directly to MSSQL on
a backoffice system. I have never before thought about having php
connect to two different db servers in the same app.

We would use the MySQL on the client server for Drupal, then need to
connect to the 3rd party MSSQL for the small bits of data from the 3rd
party inserted into the two pages.

I have not seen that Drupal has the capability to support and connect to
two different db's. Is there such capability I have not found yet?

> Beyond this, the question is what these ASP (raw ASP, or ASP.NET ?) data
> are: you might also want to modify the ASP pages so that they export their
> data to Drupal over SOAP: SOAP integration is integral to both ASP.NET and
> PHP5.2, and writing a SOAP server in PHP is trivial.

The current pages are raw ASP. But again, one is the main/home page. If
the sites is accessed with a sub-folder in the URL
(www.example.com/sub1) the ASP (index.asp) page reads the backoffice
server for a registered associate with an ID of the sub-folder name. If
it finds such an associate, it inserts the associate name into the
template for display throughout the site and sets a cookie with the
associate ID in it. To run Drupal, we need index.php to be first in line
preempting the index.asp page.

I would have to modify Drupal to get the data from the 3rd party server
before rendering the initial page.

--
Ron Dorman
Simply Digital Technologies