[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Vivek Puri crystalcube at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 02:27:20 UTC 2007

> I write this as a GPL advocate and a big believer in
> open source.

ahem whats the point of advocating something which you
don't understand ?

> How are we going to build an integrated world when
> GPL starts
> claiming rights to all that touch it?

That has always been the case, don't you know GPL is
also called viral license for a reason ;)

> So GPL apps are prohibited from touching non-GPL
> apps. I'll be snarky
> and say this is the kind of thing that happens when
> lawyers get
> involved. Time to stop developing software and start
> developing new
> licenses and lawsuits!

Unfortunately like many you misunderstood GPL to be
free as in beer. This issue is not new interpretation
its has always been like that. People started building
bridges between GPl & proprietary licensed software
without fully understanding GPL ( this is all relevant
to software distributed in source form)

> Laura (who's still wondering what was wrong with
> GPLv2)

This issue is relevant to GPLv2 we are not even
discussing impact of GPLv3