[development] About CSS3

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jan 4 02:55:47 UTC 2007

On 1/3/07, Steven Wittens <steven at acko.net> wrote:

> Drupal 5.0 will be the first Drupal that includes some CSS3. Several
> people have brought up concerns or 'bug reports' about this.

I am no CSS guru, nor do I play one on TV.

With that in mind, I'd like to set an official policy on CSS3 in
> Drupal, namely that we allow it. By definition, it should not cause
> any problems in older browsers

If it would not cause any problems, then I am all for it. However,
the devil is in the details. See below.

The only big problem for now is that some of the CSS3 throws a
> warning in Firefox's debug log (e.g. "display: inline-block" in
> core). While annoying, this is IMO Firefox' fault, not ours.

In general, such a warning is harmless, and I can live with it. Others
may be more picky though.

What I don't like is the reasoning ("their fault nor ours") when it comes to

the web and internet.

The internet is composed of many parts, and our part (drupal)
has to be displayed within the parts of others (Firefox, IE, ...etc.)

We can't just say that this is not our problem and leave the user
out in the cold.

We have done so in the past, but corrected our mistakes (e.g.
the <base href="..."> thing, various MS IE ugliness, ...etc.)

We cannot fix the faults of other software, but we will have to
live with them for the time being.

The least we could do here is a) document this, and b) file a bug
with Firefox and see what they say.

Especially because Firefox is happy to accept the other CSS3 in
> Garland (e.g. "opacity: 0.5"). It is also only visible if you have
> some sort of development tools active.

What sort of development tool triggers that? devel module?