[development] QA: Consensus on comment formatting

Gary Feldman dpal_gaf_devel at marsdome.com
Mon Jan 8 18:15:30 UTC 2007

Angela Byron wrote:
>     // TODO: this can be an expensive query. Perhaps only execute it
> every x minutes. Requires investigation into cache expiration.
While I agree that there are places for partial sentences, this doesn't
seem to be one of them.  Omitting the subject seems to be a popular
shortcut, but it makes the documentation harder to read.  It would be
better to write:

    //TODO: This can be an expensive query. We should investigate cache
    // expiration, and perhaps only execute it every x minutes.

This reminds me of two other points:  First, think twice before omitting
a word just to avoid going beyond column 80.  Going to a second line
isn't the end of the world.

The second gets back to the issue of quotes or apostrophes.  Often, when
you feel a need to put a code fragment or other phrase into quotes, it's
even better to just make it an indented paragraph.  However, I wouldn't
be surprised if Doxygen can't handle this properly, so I'm not sure
there should be a rule around this.

Gary