[development] Referential integrity -- finally?

Sammy Spets sammys-drupal at synerger.com
Sun Jan 21 07:02:06 UTC 2007

I've been quiet on this topic thus far and figured that since i'm
maintaining PostgreSQL for core, I might as well speak up.

I agree that ref integrity is important for any respectable application.
There are the occasions with Drupal (when developing mainly) where a
query goes in with an ID of zero. It can go un-noticed for sometime as
well.

+1 to referential integrity. It'll involve a lot of effort to ensure
queries are ordered correctly (most of them should be) and their success
will need to be tested. No small feat.

-- <spam> --
It's also funny to see how many people out there disregard PostgreSQL as
a usable DBMS. They seem to think MySQL is the bee's knees of free
DBMS's. True: they install MySQL at many ISPs. I believe the main reason
for that initially was because of phpMyAdmin. phpPgAdmin now exists and
allows people to gain access to the _better_ DBMS.

As far as recommending a DBMS for new sites hosted on VPS's or dedicated
boxes goes. I'd cheer out a very loud and unbiased "PostgreSQL".

Last year saw many modules gain PostgreSQL capabilities. Some patches I
submitted _still_ haven't been committed. Bummer eh?

-- <spam> --

--
Sammy Spets
Synerger Pty Ltd