[development] Contrib longevity

Syscrusher syscrusher at 4th.com
Wed Jan 31 16:00:41 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 23:45, Earl Miles wrote:
> For Views I am adding features to both the Drupal 5 and Drupal 4.7 versions
> where it is feasible and not difficult, because at the moment it's easier for
> me if the two versions stay roughly in sync. Where it is a pain, though, 4.7
> doesn't get the new feature.

This is exactly what Jeff Eaton and I are doing with Links. There are still a
lot of production 4.7 sites out there -- and some of them are mine! -- so it
still makes sense to keep 4.7 as a "viable" branch for a while. But I expect
to put the serious new development into 5.x rather than 4.7.

Links may be a bit unusual in that much of the code is in an API file that
tries really hard to be core-version-neutral.

Scott