[development] drupal.org is down <eom>

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Wed Jul 11 00:04:50 UTC 2007

On 7/10/07, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:

> Dries Buytaert schrieb:
> >
> > On 10 Jul 2007, at 17:09, Dries Buytaert wrote:
> >> The down time seriously hinders my patch reviewing -- I tried for 30
> >> minutes today, but I simply couldn't get two pages to load in a row
> >> (two reviews were lost). Instead of reviewing patches the next couple
> >> of days, I'm going to dedicate my time to help with the infrastructure
> >> instead.
> >
> > Gerhard, I'd like to take a lead in managing a small team of people that
> > are willing to help with code changes or other things that don't require
> > shell access.  It would be great if you could give us some starting
> > points.  What are the steps required to tackle this, and what steps can
> > we open up to more people?
>
> Dries, it is very nice to offer some of your not so copious spare time
> for this good cause. Sadly, there actually isn't that much you, I, or
> any OSUOSL outsider can do when it comes to our hardware and its setup.
>
> After discussing your offer with Narayan, we agreed that it would be
> best if you do that what you can do best: review patches. Especially
> patches which would help our infrastructure.
>
> The number one patch to review is David's master-slave patch at:
>
> http://drupal.org/node/147160
>
> Since we can't move drupal.org to Drupal 6 right now, we'd actually need
> a Drupal 5 version of this, thus there shouldn't be too much reworking.
>
> It would probably be best if we'd just send specific queries to the
> slaves in a round-robin fashion.
>
> Any resulting patch should be tested a lot especially for inserts and
> updates when the server is under high load.

Perhaps taking Johnathan up on his offer to support a mirror of D.O. to test
this patch would be prudent.

There are also a number of other performance related patches in the
> patch queue. These won't help use immediately, but will in the long run.

Of course, there's always the game of "review slow sql queries" to be
> played. The project module has a lot on offer and we can provide slow
> query logs.

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/files/utils/mysql_slow_log_parser

Any chance that could get set up to run on a cron job and output somewhere
regularly?

Cheers,
Kieran

Cheers,

--
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.