[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jun 9 19:47:35 UTC 2007

On 6/9/07, Konstantin Käfer <kkaefer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07.06.2007, at 04:15, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
> > So, +1 on this initiative. What is the worst case? Come February
> > and we see that things have not moved. We evaluate it them and see
> > what other projects did, and decide either to stay the course, or go
> > back to PHP4.
>
> I think this is a bad idea. If we go into this process with this
> attitude, we won't honestly try to get providers to PHP 5 because
> there is no need to for them – they will know that software projects
> won't move to 5 when the majority of providers still run 4. When we
> really make Drupal (and all the other projects) PHP 5 only starting
> from this date, providers won't have a choice but to upgrade.

We don't need to publicize that there is a possibility that we can go
back in our decision.

This is a reality check that leaves a fallback option open. If February
comes and nothing changed as far as distros and hosting companies
are concerned. What are we going to do then? Just keep forging ahead
as if PHP4 does not exist, and corner ourselves?

We can say that we reevaluate this in February and that is it. We don't
need to make any decisions now (apart from pushing hard for hosts
and distros to go PHP5).
--
2bits.com
http://2bits.com