[development] memcache

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:01:23 UTC 2007

On 06 Mar 2007, at 23:01, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> When I first suggested that node objects should be cachable I
> wasn't able to get sufficient support for this and had to accept
> the static cache as a minor solution. However, now that there are
> so many very popular Drupal sites, I think that the forces that be
> might reconsider their position. ;)

I'm fairly convinced that memory-based caching, a la memcached, is
the way forward rather than file-based caching.  But as mentioned in
my previous e-mail some rigorous experiments would help to proof this
point.

The challenge might be to create a good API that allow people to take
advantage of memory-based caching without having to refactor every
single module and without having to embed a ton of special cases all
over the map.  We want something clean, elegant and transparent that
gives us a lot of bang.

Either way, let's work on this.  I'd be happy to help test, review
and benchmark but can't take a lead in the development of such
functionality.