[development] WYSIWYG editors considered harmful for site admins (and in general, but that's a separate thread)

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Tue Mar 13 00:50:01 UTC 2007

On 3/12/07, Boris Mann <boris at bryght.com> wrote:
> Basically, as a best practice, we should tell WYSIWYG modules to look
> at filter_form and/or check using JS to see if an input form selector
> is available, and only then replace with a rich text area.
>
> Hopefully chx and/or UnConeD can provide some more tips here. I'm sure
> that module devs for rich text would love some guidance on this.
>
> And yes, a "real" hook for D6 would be even better, although I get the
> sense many folks are against WYSIWYG in general, but I'd rather not
> get into a religious war....

I suggested adding a #format option to textareas over at
http://drupal.org/node/125315. This would consistently add the input
format selector rather than requiring a separate element in your code.
This would make it easier to detect the presence of the selector since
it is more consistent.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com