[development] i18n

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 07:51:44 UTC 2007

Hi Gabor et al,

after our little meeting yesterday, I've been thinking some more
about the i18n work.  Making translated nodes first class objects
seems like a good idea, although it would be great to see some
concrete use-cases in your design document.

Secondly, the changes in Development Seed's SVN repository that you
demonstrated 2 weeks ago, look ready to go in.  Wrap it up in one
patch, minus the changes to the variables table.  I'd prefer to group
all database changes in a separate patch -- but maybe there is a
subtle issue/dependency I'm overlooking.  Either way, submitting what
you showed me earlier, seems like a good thing to do -- especially if
some of my suggested UI improvements and terminology explanations
made it in.

Once there is a patch, it's also going to be easier to solicit
initial UI feedback although I think we'll have covered most of the
issues.

Third, the improved installation mechanism for .po files is also
something I think should be submitted as soon as possible, especially
now we're encouraging people to share install profiles on drupal.org.

To make a long story short, it would be great to get some of the
first l10n/i18n improvements in, so we can shift focus to the more
challenging parts of the i18n stuff.  Most of all, it helps avoid the
typical 'patch rush' near the end of the next code freeze.  I'm ready
to tackle some of the larger changes and I'd rather work on these now
than in one month or so.