[development] Two new core modules

fago nuppla at zites.net
Tue May 1 15:24:25 UTC 2007

Am Dienstag, den 01.05.2007, 13:48 +0200 schrieb Gabor Hojtsy:
> Dries Buytaert wrote:
> > Hello world,
> > there are two existing modules I'd like to see added to Drupal 6:
> >
> >  1. OpenID
>
> Great! How is this related to possibly removing the distributed auth
> implementation of drupal.module?
>
> >  2. Actions
>
> Great! Is something on the table to be able to use actions with Drupal
> core out of the box? Some UI stuff to tie actions to Drupal core events?

That's really interesting. I'd be too eager to hear more about the plans
for drupal 6 & actions.
Is it going towards reacting on core events with actions?

I'm currently working on workflow-ng as my bachelor thesis, but I'm
concentrating on the API itself not on the UI design. Unfortunately I'm
not as far as I wanted to be already, because I'm busy with working on
other stuff, but I'll give it a kick in the next days.

In contrast to workflow I try to focus on
1. providing easy programmatic use, build the UI on top of that
2. decoupling from nodes to various supported "entities" (nodes, users,
comments)
3. moving from workflow's transition to flexible events & conditions

Actually, the design of 3. is intended to also fit for the use case of
assigning actions to various events (no, no calendar! ;) - so this also
enables people to customize stuff.

In short some other design aspects are
* every module may define events, to which different (defined) arguments
may be passed
* every module may configure conditions for these events with associated
actions

So the actions are only fired if the conditions are matched for the
event. Short use case: Send out different welcome mails based on
different registration details.

The concept of a workflow like known is provided with the help of the
states module - a simple state machine API (code:
http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/sandbox/fago/workflow-ng/)
In conjunction with the other stuff I described above, this is intended
to offer flexible publishing workflows.

Read more at http://more.zites.net/node/3030

The design concept also mentions actions-ng, which major difference to
actions is that it should work not only for nodes, but like as events
and conditions should be able to work on top of different "entities" as
well as on top of multiple (possible different) arguments.

So perhaps there might be an overlap with the existing plans for drupal
6. If so I'd be happy to help working on this...

regards,
fago