[development] Drupal's CVS policies... including 'foriegn' code in TinyMCE module?

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 22 19:52:51 UTC 2007

Quoting Kevin Reynen <kreynen at gmail.com>:

> Patching is fine... for developers.  Maybe I see more issues from
> new-to-drupal, non-developers due to the nature of TinyMCE, but asking
> users to make configuration changes to dense code they don't
> understand is what generates the majority of support requests.

Which is why I said that the install/upgrade process needs to download
the library and do the patching.

> My goal in bringing this up was only to find a way to distribute a
> version of the module that requires LESS support.  It looks like there
> may be some concessions made for smaller 3rd party libraries, but not
> larger ones.  Rolling larger external files into releases may be an
> itch someone scratches in the future, but for now the easiest way for
> me to get a better module to users that requires less support is to
> distribute it outside of Drupal.org.

The only other option is to supply a tarball of the entire set.  So the
general user downloads the full set file while the developer who is
supposed to know what she is doing applies the appropriate patches if
she chooses to download the CVS version.

Earnie