[development] Drupal's CVS policies... including 'foriegn' code in TinyMCE module?

Scott McLewin drupal at mclewin.com
Thu May 24 04:52:43 UTC 2007

Michelle Cox wrote:

> On 5/23/2007 7:27:59 AM, Scott McLewin (drupal at mclewin.com) wrote:
>> When third party libraries become popular they benefit from a move into
>> core, like jQuery did, and at that point they become the responsibility
>
> You make it sound like this is a common occurrence. As far as I know,
> jQuery was a special case, and it's highly unlikely that, say, TinyMCE
> would become part of core.

I cannot speak to the frequency.  As Drupal's popularity increases, I do
believe we will see more incorporation of third party libraries in
contrib modules, and as I wrote earlier today (in my time zone) I think
managing a common version of those third party libraries within core for
modules to share is indeed added work for the core maintainers.

I don't buy Karoly's security argument as the driving reason for why we
have a problem with this 'foreign' code, but I do believe we have a
looming problem with the management of third party libraries.  I'll be
pleased to be wrong on this point.

Scott