[development] drupal on postgresql benchmark

Michael Favia michael at favias.org
Mon Nov 26 18:31:56 UTC 2007

matt at mattfarina.com wrote:
> 2) Isn't the more accurate feature comparison InnoDB to PostgreSQL.
> MyISAM is a more light weight engine. InnoDB is more comparable to
> PostgreSQL with regard to features. Row level locking and that kind of
> thing.
Agreed but simulating real load conditions involving the appropriate
number of read to writes and bringing the effects/benefits/tradeoffs of
row level locking and other variosu storage mechanisms etc is very
difficult. Khalid was just lookign to comapere what you could expect
OOTB under both systems supported by drupal.

Everyones individual use varies but my understanding of the paradigm is
that MySQL will continue to excel with its MyISAM engine at sites
targeted towards a read only nature (newspapaers, publishing mediums,
etc) due to query caching and other various table reading efficiencies.
Heavily interactive site that utilize alot of table writes and updates
will begin to benefit more form the row level locking and advanced
functionality (transactions, etc) of more complicated storage engines
(InnoDB, postgresql, etc).

Like most decisions in life it is seemingly about a trade off and sits
on a nice continuum where many or most of use sit where there isnt a
huge difference either way ;).

Michael Favia                   michael at favias.org
tel. 512.585.5650        http://michael.favias.org