[development] RFC on packaging installation profiles

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Nov 28 00:14:42 UTC 2007

In the near future, installation profiles will be packaged with all
of core, and whatever contributed projects they depend on. In
designing exactly how this system will work, there are some
unanswered questions that I'd like to get feedback from the community
about. I've posted each one as a poll in the installation profile
group[1] so that people can both comment and vote on the various
alternatives.

I also posted a summary/overview with links to the 4 polls in the
forum on d.o, for potentially better visibility:

http://drupal.org/node/195877

Please read that, then follow the links to each poll.  I've posted
analysis and explanation for the  questions as the first comment on
each poll, including a pretty complete list of pros vs. cons.

Comments are now officially welcome.  Instead of forking the
discussion, please do *not* reply to this email, but comment on the
appropriate poll node on g.d.o.  I've already disabled comments on
the summary forum post on d.o.  In a week or so, I'm going to make my
decisions and start implementing things, at which point I'll close
the polls (both figuratively and literally).  So speak now or forever
hold your peace. ;)

Thanks,
-Derek (dww)

[1] http://groups.drupal.org/distributions