[development] What's a critical issue

Fernando Silva fsilva.pt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:50:20 UTC 2007

On 10/19/07, Sean Robertson <seanr at ngpsoftware.com> wrote:
> Any idea what's behind that?

The future is always changing...

>  I truly can't imagine ever hosting any of
> my sites on Windows - in my experience it's been an unstable bloated
> piece of crap.  I used to work for an ISP that had about half Windows
> servers and half Unix and we had unix servers that had uptimes of over a
> year, but the Windows servers were lucky if they managed to stay up for
> more than a month.

It does not real matters what is the uptime. If a machine goes down,
once per week, but if its up in less than 5 minutes it is still a
99.95% uptime. For the majority of people that is perfectly fine.

OTOH, Apache is a beast! I really don't know who consumes more memory:
Apache or IIS?

Also, I see more and more sites done with ASP.NET, because it really
catches a great number of programmers. Due to a mature framework, with
the idea of "compiled" code without having to learn to much...

And we must admit, a Windows Server is a different kind of animal than
a Windows 2000/XP (Vista does not count! It sucks!) having really few
problems and a great integration of software and services.

Windows Server 2003 + AD + IIS + Exchange = 1 day to install from
ground zero, with complete integration between all them.

Linux + OpenLDAP + Apache + (Exim or Postfix) = hmmmm how much? and
with what integration?

All my external web servers are based on Debian with Lighttpd
webserver and mail servers based on Exim or Postfix (these last will
be transfered to a specific mail service provider).

The future? Hmmm... how about a world of FastCGI applications routed
through Lighttpd webservers?! At least I'm working for that...

Regards,
  Fernando