[development] Please be careful marking release nodes "Securityupdate"

FGM fgm at osinet.fr
Thu Oct 25 09:15:33 UTC 2007

I think that this stance tends to generate too many branches and
ensures confusion will arise even more. Even for drupal core, even
major branches sometimes include incompatible API changes which
(IIRC, 4.7.4 did, and broke some sites).

More generally, I'd rather say API changes in a branch MUST maintain
backwards compatibility for the branch, but they MAY include new
upwards-compatible features (addition paths, APIs, tables), as long
as these don't remove existing features for the branch. This keeps
the number of branches reasonable while maintaining stability.