[development] CVS vs Subversion [WAS: How to develop and maintain your contribution (and use branches wisely)]

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 29 16:22:04 UTC 2007

Quoting Colan Schwartz <colan at openject.com>:

> The real problem here, at last for me (and I'm sure I'm not the only one
> in this position), is that I spend all day working with Subversion.  When
> I occasionally get a chance to work on my modules on d.o., I have to go
> back to the documentation and re-learn how to use CVS.

CVS and SVN aren't that different in command structure.  Really, I use
SVN and CVS interchangeably without issue.  CVS is still used by many.
GIT is being considered by many FSF projects.  There are other VCS so
perhaps a command wrapper so that you don't have to remember which
commands to use for which VCS.

> Having said that, I believe that my modules have proper releases; it's
> just that it takes me longer to get them out the door.  Not that I
> necessarily want to open that whole CVS/Subversion debate (or maybe I
> do), but it's just that if a lot of developers are using Subversion,
> they'd be much more comfortable getting d.o. modules released quicker if
> the site used it as well.

I don't know that and I guess you're making assumptions that you don't
have facts to as well.  It might make it easier to access for those
whose proxy servers get in the way given a setup on port 80.

See http://groups.drupal.org/node/4272 for correcting that.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/