[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 7 13:16:25 UTC 2007

Quoting Cog Rusty <cog.rusty at gmail.com>:

> No difference at all if we find that the GPL license text attached to
> a bridge module invalidates itself. But does it, and according to
> which point of the license text? That is my question.

The point which is exampled by the original BSD[1] is the one that the
smf module violates because of restrictions the Simple Machines license
places [1],[2] and the fact that the module becomes a combined work
since it includes source code from both for you to use the differing
API.

[1] http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#OrigBSD
[2] http://www.simplemachines.org/about/license.php
[3] http://www.simplemachines.org/about/opensource.php

Earnie

P.S. I am neither for or against the GPL but when I create something
new I do not choose it because its viral nature removes a freedom I do
not wish to remove.  However, I do abide by it if others have chosen it
for their works and will at that time promote it.