[development] Core modules group

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Sun Sep 9 18:40:55 UTC 2007

On Sep 9, 2007, at 7:28 AM, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

>> Would it be possible for the package generation process to check for
>> this and abort if the .info file isn't correct?
>
> Am I reading correctly that you just volunteered to write this patch?

If you do this, be sure to fix this first:

http://drupal.org/node/109181

"provide feedback to owners when there are errors packaging releases"

sadly, there's no mechanism right now whereby the packaging script
can propagate errors back to the release owners.  if anything goes
wrong, the package just doesn't get created and the release node
remains unpublished.  stuff gets written to the watchdog logs, but
the release owners can't read those, only d.o admins.  then, i just
get support requests about "critical bugs" in the packaging
infrastructure, or accusations that cron isn't running (which has
also sometimes been true).

*sigh*

anyway, there's info in the issue (as always) about what needs to
happen, someone just has to do the work.

cheers,
-derek

p.s. once there was a feedback mechanism in place, i'd be thrilled
for the packaging script to do more sanity checking like this and
refuse to create releases for projects that are doing stupid things,
such as claiming a contrib is part of core, etc.