[development] jQuery 1.2 is released

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Sep 14 16:55:26 UTC 2007

In an earlier message, I had proposed two activation methods:

1) An admin form ~ admin/build/modules where the admin can toggle on or off a given plugin.

2) A hook_jquery() that modules can implement to specify which they require.  The jquery module can then auto-activate those that are requested, and do some sort of error reporting if it is not available.  (This method does require a hard naming convention, which is probably OK since jQuery has an informal convention.)

3) Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!  I guess there's no reason we couldn't do both, with hook-requested plugins always-on and the admin able to activate more at his leisure.

Plugins used only by a theme probably wouldn't need this, as they already have a scripts key in their info file.  (Say, how come we didn't enable scripts and styles keywords for module .info files?  Bah.  Drupal 7.)

That would be a separate question from how the plugin gets on the server and where it lives (FTP, http upload, FTP-loopback routine, etc.).

--Larry Garfield