[development] RFC: drupal as a moving target

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 19:07:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Robert Douglass <rob at robshouse.net> wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Victor Kane wrote:
>

> I use Ubuntu, the free, open source, off-the-shelf release, and I am not
> forced to pay for a "Red Hat" version to rely upon it.
>

> You *could* pay for Ubuntu, if you wanted, though.

But the free version is robust and works as advertised. I meant what someone
else said about long term support. See below to understand why.

The question being raised is this: Is Drupal being driven to be such a fast
moving target that real time-to-market costs can only be afforded by large
shops?

If the answer were yes, then we are forced to examine whether
economic/financial/corporate interests are at work pushing it in that
direction.

Canonical is credited with speeding up the development of Debian, quite the
> opposite of making it "business friendly" by slowing it down. If we're going
> to compare Drupal (and Acquia's Carbon) to Ubuntu, the more accurate
> comparison might be Drupal=Debian, Carbon=Ubuntu.

Here is the point: try to step away from the speeding up of development
mindset for a moment. I want you to understand another problem:

The immense cost of updating a non-trivial Drupal based site from 5.x to 6
to 7.

I think it is great that development speeds ahead. What the original RFC
attempts to express here is the upgrading cost, immense and almost
monopolized by big shops.

The community needs to gather round this real-world need: it is plenty
specific and plenty concrete, I can tell you.

I plan on studying it and documenting it and publishing it, in a variety of
ways.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar