[development] Solving the dev->staging->live problem

Yuval Hager yuval at avramzon.net
Sat Aug 9 16:31:50 UTC 2008

On Saturday 09 August 2008, Adrian Rossouw wrote:
> On 09 Aug 2008, at 4:09 PM, Zohar Stolar wrote:
> > As yhager proposed, having two DBs instead of one, may ease things a
> > lot.
> > One DB will hold content: nodes, revisions, files, users...
> > The second DB will hold configuration: views, cck structure,
> > modules, variables... (this list is highly debatable).
>
> Prefixing would work just as well for this.
>
> I was thinking of adding properties to the table definition in schema,
> myself. IE: content / configuration.

I wish it was that simple. I'm afraid this is not to be solved on the database
level alone. Some rows in the variable table might count for content, others
for configuration. CCK, aka the-other-part-of-core, would be a impossible to
dissect based on post-mortem DB analysis. The menu system can be argued
about, etc.

--
Yuval Hager
[@] yuval at avramzon.net