[development] Addenda: postgresql quickstart

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Feb 4 10:37:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 00:29:49 +0100
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 16:17:31 -0500
> "Karoly Negyesi" <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > Unlike the recent Some introductory PostgreSQL pointers (which
> > stops at the second sql statement with a parse error) this guide
> > actually works. http://drupal4hu.com/node/118
>
> zless /usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.1/README.Debian.gz

There is also a nice GUI tool (pgadmin3) that look similar to MS SQL
Query Analyser that let you edit pg_hba.conf (and a lot more things)
I never tried the "config" functionality.

Generally pg_hba.conf comes with clear examples and you can find it
in a sane place /etc/postgresql/... and it is just a matter of
copying and pasting the examples.

The only "hard" information to get is you've to look for pg_hba.conf.
Typing "postgres authentication" or "postgres authorisation" google
point you to the right pages but none of them use the <blink> tag.

There are tens of reasonable configurations for pg_hba.conf depending
on needed flexibility, paranoia level, development habits...
Whatever I may suggest may make unhappy someone. The examples in
pg_hba.conf are pretty straight forward, just pick your choice.

4 years ago my expectations on Debian drupal package drove me astray
and someone pointed me to Debian package postgresql-doc

/usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc/README.Debian.gz

where you could find some very synthetic guideline too... but I'm not
expecting people install documentation. I didn't.

Summarizing it up:
- edit pg_hba.conf
- use createuser and createdb commands from postgres user
(su - postgres)

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it