[development] rich text editor

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Tue Feb 5 18:37:01 UTC 2008

The hardest part for me is sorting out the relationships between the
following three components:

   1. The RTE
   2. Input Filters
   3. Input Formats

Each of these components have their own, sometimes quite complex, settings.
The success can depend on the precise selection of settings. And even then,
the successful implementation can be broken by adding further functionality
or changing seemingly unrelated settings.

In the realm of RTE, Drupal's power and flexibility lead to nightmarish
results.

How about a dedicated input format, built into core, called DrupalRTE? The
hard code would decide, which, if any, input filters would be supported in
this input format. The Wysyiwyg interface would be totally tied to the
selection of the DrupalRTE input format. Example: If I'm in node/add/story
and I change the input format from DrupalRTE to Filtered HTML, the Wysiwyg
will go away.

I think by closely wrapping the RTE into an Input Format which does not
allow the user to select which input filters its supports -- we'd be
significantly lowering the number of variables that contribute to really
fussy RTE implementations.

Shai Gluskin
content2zero <http://content2zero.com>