[development] Module developers, please do *proper* releases !

blogdiva at culturekitchen.com blogdiva at culturekitchen.com
Mon Feb 18 17:12:03 UTC 2008

On  18.Feb.2008, at 08:33, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

> I think it is in the right of drupal infrastructure team to impose
> minimum requirement so that your module is hosted and advertised on
> drupal infrastructure and associated with drupal project.
>
> drupal project is free to impose or not impose any rule.
> They do... and you'll have less developed modules.
> They don't... and the the quality of modules will be lower.
> All this reflects on the image and technical merits of drupal project
> as a whole.

+1

Drupal.org needs to at least work towards a semblance of quality
control. If you have a big chunk of contribs that suck or damage
sites or only work under such specific conditions that it would be
difficult for most users to duplicate, then Drupal.org looses, not
the developers.

I don't see why upping the contrib modules' numbering is a problem. I
mean, being able to add your module should not be considered an
entitlement. It's a privilege granted by Drupal.org and its users.
Contributing developers need to be reminded that their module can
impact the overall reputation of Drupal. If they don't work towards
maintaining that  reputation with something as simple as numbering
their releases, then they obviously are not bringing value to the
whole Drupal project.

With that in mind, I don't think it would be that difficult to add a
"In Development" category that would lump all DEV modules in it. If
Drupal did that, it may encourage developers to actually get their
modules out of the "If you use it, you may explode" ghetto.

/ liza