[development] Module developers, please do *proper* releases !

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 18:44:24 UTC 2008

While I agree with the substance of what your are saying here, I would be
careful with the word "marginalize".

While I would strongly support a default filter that only includes stable
releases (which is reasonable, and would be a big help for everyone, as
would the oft-discussed points system, which admittedly would be hard to
implement), you still want to encourage people to publish dev versions of
modules, without putting a time limit on how long it takes for a stable
version of that module to come out (for a whole variety of reasons discussed
here).

People should not use modules which don't have stable releases, as Miles
says.

But a stable, active, development community needs to encourage experimental
modules also, many of them need the involvement of the community in order to
flourish. And sometimes that takes time, also. So I think "marginalize" is a
poor choice of words.

But definitely, non-developer users should be steered clear of experimental
work which is mainly of interest to developers.

saludos,

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar