[development] A Git mirror for Drupal CVS

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Mon Feb 25 15:02:21 UTC 2008

On Sunday, 24. February 2008, Gordon Heydon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > BTW, Windows is supported by GIT developers via Cygwin or MSYS.  The
> > nice windowy GUI idea would be for those who are without a CLUI.  Come
> > on, even windows has a command line terminal.  Yes, I'm a dinosaur but
> > we're talking developers here.  Surely all developers know how to type
> > on a CLI.
>
> Well GIT does have a CVS server so all the GUI CVS tools can still be used.
>
> So people can start with CVS, and the later scale up the git command
> line and tcl gui

Er, no. That's pure poison for documentation, understanding and collaboration.
Not an option.

If we're ever going to do a switch, it needs to be definitive - one single
standard for everyone, and especially no paradigm change for newbies who want
to use slightly more functionality than they did initially. (We could still
provide VCS adaptors, but only as footnote and for those people who actually
know what they're doing.)

Jakob.