[development] What does IE8 mean for Drupal?

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Sat Jan 26 18:20:33 UTC 2008

I see both points.  module developers need to know how to deal with
the MS non-standard implementations, and so do themers, especially
given we deliver CSS at both the module and theme layers.

I like the helper function approach that drupal takes on JS.  The
architectural decision seems to me to parallel the accessibility
standards compliance question.

If core plays a role, I think that the key question to answer isn't
whether the user wants standards, but what kind of browser we're
dealing with and what mode its in so the developers can deliver the
best CSS for the solution.  I realize that browser detection scripts
are hard, but I love using the Drupal JS detection scripts; they
really make my life easier.

perhaps a drupal_set_meta() function combined with themers could
choose to include the print $meta or to override with drupal_set_meta
() at the theme level?

Anyway just brainstorming solutions, and I realize that it's a bit
early for that given where we are with the IE 8 release and how
little we know about what problems it is likely to cause with our
standards based approach.