[development] code review for the "pivots" project

Daniel Xiaodan Zhou danithaca at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 02:36:58 UTC 2008

We use module title together with the word "module" to find related
discussions on a module page. Take the "image" module for example, all forum
posts that have the text string "image module" would be considered as a
match.

But it has another problem. People sometimes refer to a module using an
alias (eg.cck) rather than the exact module title plus the word "module"
(eg. content construction kit module). To fix that problem, we manually add
links between modules and their commonly used aliases so that the algorithm
can spot the right match. So, for those modules that we should have (but
didn't have) added an alias, the "related discussions" doesn't display as
many links as it should. The problem is fixed (we hope) when we add the
aliases,

In short, every recommendation algorithm has its own pros and cons. We hope
to launch this project as one of the approaches to make module
recommendations to DO users. And we'll continue to improve the algorithm
based on feedbacks.

Thanks.

Daniel